Frederick Brooke's Reviews > Get Them Talking! an ESL Tutoring Guide

Get Them Talking! an ESL Tutoring Guide by Kimberly Davison-Fujioka

Jan 23, 12

Read from January 22 to 23, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get Them Talking! an ESL Tutoring Guide.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa You didn't say if you like the book. I am curious because I volunteer at a program where I help immigrants to practice speaking English. Did you find the book helpful? If so, maybe I'll try to get it.

message 2: by Frederick (new) - added it

Frederick Brooke Lisa, I would definitely recommend it for independent teachers looking for guidance in all aspects of ESL teaching, yes! Which part of the country are you doing your work in?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I live in Skokie-Evanston, Illinois. In Niles Twp, the children come from 90 different language groups. They've set up a center for the parents of the children attending school here to get help with English classes, citizenship classes, and several other things. I'm volunteering in a program called Tea 'n Talk in which we volunteers practice speaking English with people. At this point in our group, we have people from China, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Mexico. Where do you live? Are you an ESL teacher?

message 4: by Frederick (new) - added it

Frederick Brooke That's interesting! I live in Basel, Switzerland and taught EFL in France, Germany and Switzerland before managing a private language school for 18 years. Your volunteering sounds like a wonderful thing and the book could well be helpful to you. I started writing novels a few years ago and my first book Doing Max Vinyl is set in Waukegan! Maybe you'd be interested in having a look - it costs 99 cents. I'm from Chicago originally.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa No kidding! We lived in Waukegan for about six years and after that I worked there intermittently as a social worker. Where is your book listed?

message 6: by Frederick (new) - added it

Frederick Brooke Wow! Small world ... well my book is on Amazon as an ebook, and also on the Nook. If you want a print copy, this should be ready in about 6 weeks from Create Space. Do you have a Kindle? Here is the link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Doing-Max-Vinyl... I almost forgot to mention, I also created exercises for EFL and ESL teachers to go with my book. You'll find these (for free) on my website as PDFs, here: http://www.frederickleebrooke.com/ind... If you get interested in my book, please add it to your "to read" shelf on GR. Let's keep in touch!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Thanks for the exercises. I don't have a kindle because I like reading books as books. Please let me know when your book is available as a book and good luck with it. Have a great day.

message 8: by Frederick (new) - added it

Frederick Brooke Hi Lisa, okay, will do! You too have a good one.