Paul Hankins's Reviews > Baby's in black. The Story Of Astrid Kirchherr & Stuart Sutcliffe

Baby's in black. The Story Of Astrid Kirchherr & Stuart Sutcl... by Arne Bellstorf

Before they became line-up for what we would know today at THE BEATLES, John, Paul, a very young George, and Stuart were playing small clubs in Germany. This is the story of bassist, Stuart, who falls in love with Astrid and pursues his dream of creating art (his decision to leave the band is prompted/aided by winning a scholarship to a prestigious art school). Fans of THE BEATLES might really enjoy this prequel. Discussion-ready as a text that would pair well with THE BEATLES non-fiction title. The art in the book is in black and white and does a nice job of carrying the story, all the way up to the end (final panels are inventive and keep the reader guessing what is happening). Baby's in Black is a re-release, but I do like that this story and the artist will get more attention from readers under the strong, strong, :01 banner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby's in black. The Story Of Astrid Kirchherr & Stuart Sutcliffe.

01/22/2012 page 116
54.0% "Interesting story of the early Beatles. Would work well in a "ladder" of non-fiction texts even when this one is a graphic novel. First Second (:01) books and Macmillan continue to impress this reader in the graphic novel genre."
01/22/2012 page 170
79.0% "Reading through the book, knowing what we know of what would eventually become The Beatles, the reader is torn between Stuart following his dream in the midst of the unknown or abandoning that dream to play music in run-down clubs. This will be compelling to Beatles fans. Baby's in Black is a re-issue, but I am so happy that this book will now get attention from readers being released by :01 and Macmillan."