Vanessa 'Pixi' Kraus's Reviews > The Sookie Stackhouse Companion

The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris

Jan 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, vampires, fairies, romance, saw-movie-or-show, warewolves
Recommended for: Sookie Lovers, Vampire Adicts
Read from January 22 to 30, 2012 , read count: 1

I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thing (and for a girl with OCD that's a big deal, lol). The 'novella' was a bit raw like most of Charlaine's short stories tend to be. I didn't like the fact that it was published out of order - hence the OCD in me. The novella was published 3 months after the 11th book but to be read chronologically it should be read before the 11th book. I also found a lot of the book to be very pointless unless I hadn't read the series in a long time and didn't want to re-read it to pick up, say, the 12th book. This book had a nice timeline/overview of all of the previous books and short stories. I can see this being very handy if I don't want to reread the series. I skipped this since it wasn't relevant to me. Also the book contained little blurbs about EVERY character that ever appeared in the Sookie books.... ever. Handy and nice if I were OCD about Sookie, but I'm not. I skipped this too. I skimmed the recipes since I'm a foodie and found them fun! OMG Caroline Bellafluer's famous cake - I couldn't believe it was from a box! I am such a purist! I also found it funny the recipe recognized us purists! Sorry I'm such a book and recipe OCD/snob. =)

So I guess in total I read the Novella, and skimmed the recipes, and read the Bill/Eric blurbs. Surprisingly I found the interview with Alan Ball entertaining and also the questions that fans asked Charlaine. I really didn't think I would find those interesting at all but found myself pleasantly surprised. This may be a book I read again depending on how long the series goes (who doesn't want to catch up on 11 books in 100 pages?) or however long it takes Charlaine to publish the series (because I have the memory of a goldfish). I love parenthesis!!!! =) (commas too). *giggle*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sookie Stackhouse Companion.