Gretchen's Reviews > Delirium

Jan 22, 12

liked it
bookshelves: read-2012
Read in January, 2012

I would have loved this novel when I was a teenager. In a dystopian society, Love has been classified as a disease, from which you can be cured. Lena, a high school senior, is counting down to the end of school and 18th birthday, when she will be "cured". After that, she'll never have to worry about love, or pain, or any of the strong emotions that cause you to feel out of control. It sounds perfect, until she meets Alex, and learns that there's a reason for all those strong emotions.

Reading as an adult, I appreciated the links to the pre-dystopian times. Comments about earlier religions like Catholicism, or the "cautionary tale" of Romeo and Juliet were nice touches. I felt there was too much time spent on setting up the drama, but this is a planned trilogy, so perhaps it was necessary for future books.

Overall, I think this novel is squarely focused on the teen-age market. Those who are currently dealing with their own strong emotions, and the wonders of falling in love for the first time will find a kindred spirit in Lena, and eagerly look forward to the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.