ElaineY's Reviews > Natural Law

Natural Law by Joey W. Hill

REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; OCTOBER 16, 2013:
ONE STAR:(
Narrator: Maxine Mitchell :(

This is a review only of the audio version. For the story, read my review below from 2006.

I wasn't going to buy this because 1) there were no sample audios available, 2) the only samples were of Mitchell narrating other books and omigod, she was awful.

I ended up buying because 1) it was only $3.95 and 2) the sample for this book was finally available and Mitchell's voice came off much better here than the in other books.

I ended up asking for a refund because once again, the sample is inadequate when gauging whether a narrator suits me. All I can tell from the sample is whether I like the sound of the voice but to know whether he/she is a good narrator (IMO) I need at least a chapter.

For Mitchell, I could barely tolerate a whole chapter but I forced myself to get through 3 chapters after which I took pity upon myself. While Mitchell's voice wasn't as tinny and whiny as the samples I'd heard, listening to her for a whole chapter left me feeling weirdly seasick. Yep. Seasick, because Mitchell does this rolling pitch with her words, stressing and lifting one syllable over another. Right through the chapter, to another. If I'd finished the book, I'm sure I'd have thrown up.

I asked for a refund. Don't believe Audible when it says on their website you can return a book online just by clicking the 'eligible' button. That doesn't happen. Once they process a return, your book is removed from your library so if it's still there then your return hasn't been processed. I had returns requested months or weeks ago that were never processed and only found out when I contacted them to inquire why the 'eligible' button was still there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally. An erotic suspense that has all three elements I want: erotic sex, suspense and romance.

One of my keepers and worth a re-read.

I didn't know much about the BDSM lifestyle before I read Joey Hill and though more informed these days, it's still not a turn-on for me so when I read that Mac is a submissive, it took me awhile before I decided to buy this book. BDSM as well as my hero a submissive? With Morgan Hawke still fresh in my mind, I wondered if I was going to get my hero pissed on by the heroine.

I needn't have worried. Joey Hill writes in a particular way that's reminiscent of a serious fiction. I don't know if her other titles are the same but I bought Ice Queen and took a peek and the writing style and language is the same. Anyway, there're no golden showers in Natural Law if I recall correctly but plenty of everything else.

Mac is also not the kind of submissive male I'm thinking of. He's still alpha, confident and in control. Makes you curious, doesn't it, how someone like him is a sexual submissive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Law.

09/08/2013 marked as: to-read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ElaineY I'll try the Ice Queen/Mirror of My Soul audio first. Maybe.

ElaineY This was my first Joey Hill book, read it back in 2006 a couple of years before I started reading MM. I have almost all her Nature of Desire books in tradeback. I'm not sure if I have this in ebook but if I don't I'll buy one.

I'm really disappointed with Audible's choice of narrator for this series, though, so I'm unlikely to waste my money on it.

I enjoyed NL but some of my GR frens didn't at all. I might not like it as much this time.