Alvi Harahap's Reviews > HOUSE

HOUSE by Frank E. Peretti

Jan 22, 12

The book house begins the tale with the introduction of a married couple who have undergone a terrible tragedy. It is the story of fear, anger, jealousy, and rage. The inability to love unconditionally and to forgive someone can be a terrible burden and a terrible sin. Both of these two characters in the book are holding on to fear and anger and they can't even share it with each other. The resentment and feelings of guilt are evident from the start and you know that both of them are in need of some unconditional understanding and love.

After some trouble with a vehicle, they find themselves stranded at a house with another couple who have experienced some similar issues with their vehicle as well. As the story begins to unfold we start to see that this house, and the participants in the game to come, are not all as they seem to be.

The story continues with the introduction of a can, an old soup can with the rules of the game scrawled on the side. The can sets the stage for the game to come, "Welcome to my house. House Rules: 1. God came to my house and I killed him. 2. I will kill anyone who comes to my house as I killed God. 3. Give me one dead body and I might let rule two slide. Game over at dawn.

The killer has a game that he wants to play and it is a game he has played many times before with many different players. The sick and twisted game will unfold in the hours before dawn unless they can find a way to defeat the killer, or escape, then they might become the latest victims of the House.

I rode along with the characters and as the story unfolded, I found myself questioning my own nature and my own dark sin. The choices we make in life can lead us down many different paths and some of those paths are filled with darkness and evil, even if it is only within our hearts. That is the underlying premise of the book, that God sees all of our sin and judges it all accordingly. The realization that no matter how far we run or how deeply we hide it, God still sees the sin.

The book weaves in and out of spiritual issues throughout the entire book with a final confrontation that is not what you expect. The reader will most likely find themselves empathizing with the characters in the book and using the characters and events portrayed to evaluate the their own sin. It's a story within a story and it is superbly written and keeps you holding on tight, right up until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read HOUSE.