Eric Cartier's Reviews > The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

Jul 07, 08

Read in May, 2008

I read most of these stories in anthologies in middle school, but revisiting them, I found myself trapped in Poe's imaginative grip. "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" "The Pit and the Pendulum" "The Masque of the Red Death" "The Tell-Tale Heart" "The Fall of the House of Usher" Don't the titles themselves plunge you into terrible remembrance?

From "The Black Cat": "Who has not, a hundred times, found himself committing a vile or stupid action, for no other reason than because he knows he should not? Have we not a perpetual inclination, in the teeth of our best judgement, to violate that which is Law, merely because we understand it to be as such? This spirit of perverseness, I say, came to my final overthrow. It was this unfathomable long of the soul to vex itself--to offer violence to its own nature--to do wrong for wrong's sake only--that urged me to continue and finally to consummate the injury I had inflicted upon the unoffending brute. One morning, in cold blood, I slipped a noose about its neck and hung it to the limb of a tree..."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales.