Wendy Terrien's Reviews > Handling Sin

Handling Sin by Michael Malone

Feb 19, 12

Read from January 22 to February 19, 2012

This is a tricky book for me to rate and review. I'd really like to give it about 3.4 stars but, clearly, that isn't an option. Following the rules of rounding, I should technically give it three stars, but that just seemed too low.

Here's the thing. This book is funny. It has great characters. Are some of them a bit stereotypical? Yes. But stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, and these characters are still interesting.

But, this book has a lot of characters, all of them quirky and/or eccentric and/or involved in some way. And this book has a lot of pages. I'm not one to shy away from a lot of pages, but these pages are loaded with one "crazy shenanigan" after another. Honestly it felt a bit ridiculous to me in the first half of the book, and I considered putting it down. But, the smattering of humor pulled me through it.

The second half was better for me. I really liked the final group that ends up together to finish this road trip journey of discovery. The predicaments they find themselves in are more fun and creative and exciting. And the resolution is fulfilling.

So, do I recommend it? If you want a fun, easy read - probably not for you. If you want a fun read that you have to work for a bit, then you'll probably enjoy it. Like I said, it's a bit tricky.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Handling Sin.