Nikki's Reviews > Lone Star

Jan 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: lgbt, romance
Read on January 22, 2012

Ah, my favourite guilty pleasure. I don't know quite what I expected from Lone Star, with the premise of a gay ballet dancer and a gay Texas Ranger who loved each other as kids. Ballet is a really weird topic for me -- I was a dancer once, but it swiftly became obvious that I didn't have the right build for it. So I was sort of curious about, and jealous of, Mitch's life.

My teacher always told me I'd regret giving up dancing, but if I left I could never come back. I don't regret it now, right after reading about the bad shape of Mitch's feet, and the horrible competitiveness of his life.

Anyway, the dancing aside, I have no idea what the reindeer was about, in this story. It didn't seem necessary. But other than that, I liked it, liked the subtlety in the way Lanyon dealt with characters like Mitch's homophobic dad, who still loved his son deeply.

It's a short story and it definitely has a feel-good ending. Not sure it rates that highly for me compared to Lanyon's other stuff -- but that might be me remembering my first pointe shoes and the way my feet bled! I couldn't romanticise Mitch at all.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Star.