Sarah's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Jan 27, 12

Read from January 22 to 27, 2012

** spoiler alert ** It's Kind of a Funny Story (Ned Vizzini) is, in short, a story about depression, but not in a sad or pessimistic way. It's about a teenage boy who suffers from enormous stress which makes him very depressed, and how he learns to handle it. I quite enjoyed this book; on a scale of one to ten I would rate it at an eight.

The main character of this story is Craig, who is fifteen and attending a high-profile business preparatory school. The school is very prestigious and very difficult to get into. Passing the entry exam was one of his proudest moments, but the exam is nothing compared to the stresses of life inside the school. The courses are difficult, the homework is difficult, the expectations of teachers for grades and clubs and activities are extremely high. He is quickly overwhelmed with his life, and he becomes terrified of failure. Failure at anything in the school means inevitable failure at life itself, and the downward spiral of depression begins. He only feels worse and worse until he almost decides to kill himself; instead, he calls a hotline for help and checks himself into the hospital, where he spends five days. While in there, he learns a lot about himself, about Life, about people, depression, and how to learn to manage.

I really enjoyed this book. The writing style is very natural and easy to read, like Craig is sitting in the room with you, telling you his story. I found it to be very easy to relate to Craig, and the way he describes his mental processes really made sense to me. It was comforting to watch him learn to let go of the things that dragged him down, and embrace the things that make him happy. That's a lesson that many people can benefit from. In the end, this book left me feeling optimistic and peaceful. I'm glad I decided to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.