Jane's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Jan 22, 12

I'm not really sure what to rate this book. I didn't particularly enjoy reading Super Sad True Love Story, but I liked it after I finished it. It was thought-provoking.

I liked Lenny. I liked Eunice. I liked the dystopian universe (or, rather, the concept of it). I liked how messed up everything and everyone was, because I like messed up things. But actually reading Super Sad True Love Story was kind of a huge drag. I'm probably just not smart enough. I absolutely don't believe that books have to have likeable characters or satisfying climaxes and conclusions. But I honestly got bored with reading about horrible and miserable people being horrible and miserable in a horrible and miserable world.

That sort of thing would have been fine for a short story or even a shorter novel. However, Super Sad True Love Story goes on for long enough that it becomes necessary for the reader to have some kind of investment in the story. By the time this was apparent, I had stopped caring. Characters that I had initially found endearingly, pathetically, terribly flawed were now just insufferable. The plot didn't matter. Nothing mattered. Perhaps this numbing effect was Shteyngart's intention. I don't know. The author makes plenty of fine points, and I'm not sure whether or not they could have been expressed with the same resonance had the novel been formatted differently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.