Naoms's Reviews > Head Rush

Head Rush by Carolyn Crane

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-urban-fantasy, read-in-2012, ebooks, witches-magic-users-shamans
Read in January, 2012

Why didn't I love this book? Because the middle is redundant and the ending is rushed. I just cannot enjoy books where all the excitement happens in the last few pages and then it's over. After the explosive ending of Double Cross, I had high expectations for Head Rush. The beginning does not disappoint, I was into it. I felt the tension, but then the middle just slows the book down. It could have been worked out a lot better, since the whole story takes place in 3 days, but disappointingly Crane dropped the ball.

It starts off a few months after Double Cross ended. Packard is on the run and Justine is engaged to marry Otto. Justine finally has the life she has always wanted. A man, who understands and doesn't judge her, loves and needs her. Yet, she cannot shake the memories of Packard.

From there it gets repetitive. Justine figures out a great truth and then is still partially in denial about all that really happened at the end of Double Cross. Then she figures it out and then it's more of the same. We have to find this, we have to find that, etc. We have to do this. And then in 20 pages, everything is figured out and it ends.

My problem is that we should have seen more of the villain. Everything that the bad guy does, is being told to us second hand via dialogue. It would have been more interesting to see some of the events. To experience it. Justine some how should have been a bystander or spied on something. By having it all unfold via conversation, the tension was completely ripped out and it just felt like "oh no, the bad guy is doing more bad stuff."

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head Rush.

01/23/2012 "starting this now, my only prayer is that I don't have to deal with Otto the whole time."
01/23/2012 "ugh. Otto..."