Nicole's Reviews > Edward the Emu

Edward the Emu by Sheena Knowles

Jul 07, 08

bookshelves: booksihaveread

This book has a good moral... once you finally figure yourself out, then someone comes along for you to mate with and several Emu eggs later, oh wait that's the sequel "Edwina the Emu" Throughout this book Edward wants to be like every other animal in the zoo and then he realizes that he too is important to the onlookers at the zoo. Edward has confidence issues that personally I haven't ever had to deal with, so therefore, I could empathize, but not sympathize. I tried to put myself in his bird legs, but I get up in the morning and say "that's right the world is a good place, because I am here"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edward the Emu.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nicole Oh, I get it. Searching for self- ha. Only when we are hooked up or are hooking up :) do we find true happiness.

message 2: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen The moral of the story is, don't leave your cage!

Don't think something ELSE is for you. No way. We got your t-shirts and your "life skills" awards and we'll tell you when to pee and when to drink and what to think and how to talk.

So grab your melamine tray, "Freeze" when you hear the whistle, walk in circles on the black top until your teacher gets here and for god's sake don't you ever, EVER think about leaving the Emu cage and joining the Lions. Because at the end of the day the cage isn't big enough for all of us.

Nicole Do you have a problem with conforming?

message 4: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen Let me just say this, I'm not wearing that damn t-shirt next year and I'd willing to bet you're not either.
But the bigger problem is WE'RE not being asked to conform THEY are.
They're in the cage. And we're doing everything in our power to make sure they don't get out of it, including now picking their clothes for them.
We've replaced their foods with ours, their social norms with ours, we've taken away their holidays, their languages and now we've taken over their apparel.
We've done a splendid job of allowing them to NOT think/decide/express for a good 12 years of their life.
Which I'm sure the military, service industry and prison system will thank us for later.
that's all I'm sayin.
but - ya, that book was kinda cute.

message 5: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen Well it would seem that the next logical step is for US to choose their mates for THEM, maybe you could be in charge of that. Aren't Ajunae and Mikkie already engaged?

Nicole I have no problems with prearranged marriages. No child knows better than the adults around them! By the way, I will not be caught dead in an army green t-shirt with our school's logo on it. I have way to much fashion sense for that. I follow the fashion trends and wear what MTV, Models, Victoria's Secret, Nordstrom, etc. tell me to wear and so far my life has been prosperous- listening to others tell me what to do:)