Bryan's Reviews > Black Hole

Black Hole by Charles Burns

Jan 22, 12

Read from January 21 to 22, 2012

I really like Charles Burns art style and paired with his writing it's a very convincing representation of the 70s, while at the same time not going over the top into the realms of camp or parody.

The story was definitely interesting, but I'll admit it was a little too vague and open-ended for my tastes. I'm not saying there's anything wrong or bad with that, but I guess I like a little more explanation and resolution in my stories. That doesn't take away from the quality of the work, but the whole time I was waiting to find out where the plague came from, is there a cure and why all the kids are living in the woods instead of trying to get help. This is the kind of absence of detail that drives me a bit nuts.

It's a book I can and probably should read again sometime so that I can get a little more out of it. I devoured it in two sittings one evening with a short break in between because it is the kind of story that grabs you and reels you in, the kind of thing that makes me read it really fast and I found myself having to slow down and pay attention to the art in my haste to absorb all the words.

This book has been on my radar for a long time and I'm glad I finally read it. It has all the right notes of weirdness that take it from just another story about kids and transforms it into something completely different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hole.