Alexei's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 21, 12

Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Something that I can't get out of my head after having finished this book is how self aware it seems to be at times. There have been some observations/complaints that John Green's own voice tends to bleed through too much on occasion and that the characters are all just him assuming different forms. I can understand how unlikely it may seem to have deeply philosophical youths with a fast wit and that Mr. Green's main characters in all his other books tend to share the same qualities but I would argue that not only do people such as these exist, Green writes with these qualities in mind because they ARE interesting. These parallels of each book having a unique person with their quirks and preoccupations, whether it be with last words, getting a eureka moment, or a certain book doesn't make them any less interesting and if anything it can serve as a foil for all of their differences in what lessons they learned from their own (albeit fictional) lives.

As previously stated, I find one of the best parts about this books is that John Green is not unaware of these similarities and is exceedingly aware of what it is he is writing. The book is about this girl with cancer who is obsessed about this book about this girl with cancer, and the reason the girl loves this book so much is because though it is a book about cancer without being a "cancer book" (one that follows all of the archetypes associated with the genre). There were literally times when I would start to think "He isn't going to take the book in this direction is he?" and lo and behold the protagonist would comment about how an aspect of cancer books is horse sh!t compared to the reality of the situation, as if in a nod to the reader.

I wouldn't say that you would have to be heartless not to be moved by this book, but I am convinced that it would take brain death for it not to make you really and truly think.