Celine's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: for-review, favourites
Read from April 10 to 11, 2012

Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
I like the purple theme in the cover and how the 'wings' behind the title Insurgent represents freedom. I am quite sad that my copy of Insurgent is the UK cover instead of the US one because it doesn't match my copy of Divergent with the US cover. I also really liked the US cover of Insurgent because Amity's faction symbol : the tree, is on the cover!

Story:

One choice can destroy you...

Insurgent makes me completely speechless. I just want to say AWESOME one billion times and that's it. But that's not a review, so I WILL try my BEST to write a review for this book. Now before I start my review, I want to get this phrase out first:

INSURGENT IS SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS.

Yes, the 'Super...' word is supposed to be the longest English word (never mind that it's from Mary Poppins) but Insurgent completely deserves that word. It's more than AWESOME, AMAZING and WONDERFUL. There, now that the phrase is out, I can start my review. With Roth's brilliant debut, Divergent, and how the book won the Favourite Book of 2011 in Goodreads Choice Awards, I was worried how the sequel can live up to the first book. When I finished reading Insurgent, I wanted to hit myself for having the slightest doubt on Insurgent. My mind was completely blown away with the sequel. I can say that Insurgent was even better than Divergent. That was really hard to say because Divergent was really brilliant but Insurgent was even more brilliant. Continuing where Divergent left off, Insurgent takes you into a story with non-stop heart-pounding actions and the book slowly unravels the secrets behind the world of Divergent itself. The book explores each of the factions more deeply, including their leaders and what it means to be Divergent. When I closed the book, I wanted to scream and pull my hair because I have to wait another year for the sequel. Maybe I should not have read the book as soon as I got it but who can stand not reading the book when it arrived on their doorstep? I can ensure you that Insurgent does not disappoint and that Roth's writing continues to bring readers an amazing story in the world of Divergent. I completely adore Roth's writing. It's absolutely hooking, engaging and her detailed description makes the whole book comes to life.

Characters:
Where do I begin? Where shall I begin? Oh, let's see, why not begin with

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS Four Tobias?

Four is the coolest nickname ever and I felt a little sad that the name is not used as often as in Divergent but the positive thing is, I get used to the name Tobias because that's what Tris calls him. Tobias! Tobias is officially my favourite fictional character from Dystopian books EVER. He is AMAZING throughout Divergent and continues to be so in Insurgent. Him being awesome doesn't mean that his relationship with Tris is always so sweet, happy and romantic. This is what makes Tris and Tobias one of the best fictional couples out there. They are both strong, determined, strong-willed and this makes them perfect for each other. But, their relationship is being tested in Insurgent. Occasionally, we find that Tobias and Tris hardly can agree on one thing because they both have different opinions and therefore it affects their relationship. In Insurgent, Tris becomes even more Dauntless. She is still an amazing heroine who we all adored from Divergent and we finally get to read more about how 'Divergent' she is. I do not want to spoil you any of the new characters introduced in Insurgent but they were amazing and completely unexpected. Every characters in Insurgent has their own secrets, including the leaders of each factions and unraveling the secrets becomes a very important thing to better understand each character in the book. Roth's characters are absolutely well-written!

Overall:
Insurgent is SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS. It's mind-blowing, it's EPIC, it's even better than Divergent. It is beyond my expectations. This engaging book filled with heart-pounding actions kept me awake in the middle of the night and I couldn't put this book down until I finished reading it. Roth's writing continues to bring readers an EPIC story in the world of Divergent. I can never get enough of Roth's writing. If you love Divergent but haven't pre-ordered Insurgent, what are you waiting for? You will not regret it because Insurgent DOES live up to ITS HYPE or better yet, EVEN MORE.

Thank you Harper Collins Australia for the review copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Celine Liked

Veronica Roth
“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”
Veronica Roth, Insurgent

Veronica Roth
“I’ll be your family now,” he says.
“I love you,” I say.
I said that once, before I went to Erudite headquarters, but he was asleep then. I don’t know why I didn’t say it when he could hear it. Maybe I was afraid to trust him with something so personal as my devotion. Or afraid that I did not know what it was to love someone. But now I think the scary thing was not saying it before it was almost too late. Not saying it before it was almost too late for me.
I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.
He stares at me. I wait with my hands clutching his arms for stability as he considers his response.
He frowns at me. “Say it again.”
“Tobias,” I say, “I love you.”
His skin is slippery with water and he smells like sweat and my shirt sticks to his arms when he slides them around me. He presses his face to my neck and kisses me right above the collarbone, kisses my cheek, kisses my lips.
“I love you, too,” he says.”
Veronica Roth, Insurgent

04/11/2012 page 50
10.0% "Four, Tobias, what am I supposed to call you? ♥" 11 comments
04/11/2012 page 164
31.0% "Can't stop reading but I have to go to sleep!"
04/11/2012 page 270
51.0% "AWESOME is all I can say." 11 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Racquel (new) - added it

Racquel oh snap, lucky you!

Celine Hehehehehe :D

message 3: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina (The Bookish Confections) I'm jealous! I wish it's May 1 already! Have you got enough of Four or you still end up wanting more of him? :">

Celine Hahaha, I can never get enough of Four. I still need more of him!

Donna {Book Passion for Life} Woohoo!! So glad you liked it. Isn't that ending just....wow??

Celine EEEEE, thank you Donna! <3

AND THE ENDING COMPLETELY BLEW MY MIND AWAY. THE BOOK CAN'T JUST END THAT WAY!!!

message 7: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina (The Bookish Confections) Omg. Now, I really want that book in my hands! I don't think there's any fictional character out there that made girls swoon too much except for Four!

Celine Oh there's another one called Etienne St. Clair! ;)

I LOVE FOUR. He's my favourite fictional character from dystopian books but for contemporary? Etienne St. Clair is my ANSWER! ;) <3

message 9: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina (The Bookish Confections) Really? I'll read that book! I haven't got a copy of Anna and the French Kiss. :)

OMG I FORGOT HE'S IN FOR YOUR BLOG. <3 I remember it the first time I read your blog. :))

Anyway, I love Augustus Waters for Contemporary. But I'll see Etienne St. Clair! :D

And oh, I really love your blog, you know. <3 Especially your Guess This Quote Event. :)

message 10: by Celine (last edited Apr 12, 2012 02:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Celine Hehehehehe :P You have to to read Anna & the French Kiss! And when you do got a copy and started reading, tell me!

OHHH! I love Augustus Waters too! From The Fault in Our Stars, right? ;)

Awwww, thank you so much Nina! <3 I'm glad you enjoyed Guess This Quote! :)

message 11: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina (The Bookish Confections) Yes, I definitely will! I have Lola and the Boy Next Door but I wanted to start with Anna! :)

Yes, TFIOS. That book is just awesome. :D

No biggie! I think other bloggers should have that. It's really fun! :)

Celine You have to start Anna first, Nina! I highly recommend starting Anna first because the characters from Anna makes an appearance in Lola too! (Though I assume you've known this? :)

That book is AWESOME. It makes me laugh, smile and cry. Augustus Waters <3

So glad you had fun! <3 I might have another Guess This Quote event next year! ;)

message 13: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina (The Bookish Confections) Yes! I figured that one immediately after reading a couple of pages from Lola! Haha. So yeah, I'll definitely read Anna first!

Yes, I know right! It's so lovely! <3

Yeey! I'll definitely wait for it! :)

Celine Thank you Nina! I hope you enjoy Anna & Lola! ;)

message 15: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina (The Bookish Confections) I hope too! I'll message you when I'm finished. :)

Natalia Bona So jealous!! FOUR in my <3

Celine You will definitely love Insurgent! ;)

Natalia Bona How did u get it so soon? :O

Celine Review copy! :D

Amanda Can't wait for may!!!!!!!

Celine It's definitely worth the wait! :)

Nicole I agree! It was amazing! :) Great review!