Eddie's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from January 21 to 31, 2012

My first, and definitely not last, Stephen King book! What took me so long to read one from him? I know why, this book needed to be published first in order for me to see what all the hype is all about. He has so many books, and knowing me, I'd of picked a lackluster of one and never gave this one its deserving, rewarding chance. This book was fun from the very get-go and didn't dissipate at all, and this was a big one! I usually hate big books, too! Why? Because they take a lot of investment and the ones I've chosen have all been pretty much dismal or "meh." But honestly, I don't think I've read enough BIG books to make such a judgement...yet. Hey, we live in a culture of instant gratification, BIG books are daunting tasks to my eyes!

But to be fair to BIG books and my assessment, I read this one, for a first time, on a Kindle. My daughter's Kindle. So I never got that BIG book feeling in my hands nor to my eyes. I was so anti-Kindle or e-reader prior, but I hate to admit it, it was really nice reading from it. Shoot me now! Sorry books, I still own plenty of you guys and still love the library, but I think I might have to get me a kindle and make it my mistress to you. Its skinny, sleeker, and being a guy, those things matter. ;-)

Back to the book...

This book had time-travel to an odd era, (late 50s and early 60s, Texas), suspense, mystery, love, great characters, a great first-person narrative, action, and history dealing with the biggest conspiracy theory of them all, JFK. King handled all beautifully and kept me fully entertained and sometimes even at the edge of whatever seat I was on while reading this fantastic book. Yes, uh-um, even on the toilet at times! I know I'm not the only reader who does such! TMI, I know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

01/25/2012 page 410
48.0% "So, my first Stephen King book and if this book keeps me hooked like it currently has all the way through till the end, I know this wont be my last. So far, I'm seriously enjoying this wild story! I have a hard time putting it down and wish I had a schedule or job that'd allow me to read it all day long until it's finished!"