Robin Miller's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Jan 31, 12

A disappointing book better suited for a cheesy lifetime movie.

With a feel-good factor of 10, believe-abilty factor of 0 and poor dialogue this story is best suited for a lifetime made-for-tv movie starting some washed-up sitcom actress from the 80s. There is potential in the story of Mary--she was raped by her high school teacher, she married a wealthy aristocrat, she was physically abused by her cheating husband, she was widowed at a young age yet she maintained a peaceful existence in a mansion overlooking her small hometown. The author never allows you to really understand how Mary feels because all the character-developing aspects of her life are quickly dismissed. Instead the author tells of the seemingly random members of the small community. How their stories intersect with Marys is forced and far too cheesy (even for me). At the end of the book we know as much about Mary as the townsfolk who never even met her....and it's difficult to care about any of them.

Even at 99 cents--don't bother. Turn on lifetime and I'm sure something very similar will be on and you're chances of a love scene are significantly higher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hayden Agreed. I'm a little shocked at all the positive reviews the book's received on here, and a lot shocked at the people who are raving about it. I'm just glad the book was so cheap.

Brenda Sorrels Found it hard to fathom!