Katrina's Reviews > Bogus to Bubbly: An Insider's Guide to the World of Uglies

Bogus to Bubbly by Scott Westerfeld

F 50x66
Mar 05, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, author-s-note, dystopian, fiction, ya
Recommended for: anyone who has read the Uglies Quadrilogy
Read from March 04 to 05, 2012

I blew through this book. I really enjoy reading the author's thoughts behind the books that I enjoy. If anything, I wish Westerfeld had gone more indepth with his "Insider's guide". This book is not meant to be a fantastic work of fiction, or of science, for that matter. He includes both in it, however. I quite enjoyed getting to read the original first chapter of Extras: the same story, from a totally different point of view. (I am also glad he did not write the rest of the book like that.)

Westerfeld gives lots of details that he does not include in the books because they were not needed. These details did not really feel contrived to me, though, in retrospect, I think they could. His 'map of the former US' could use a little work, considering I am pretty sure that the west coast won't look perfect after full on global warming and 300 years. So sure, he's got science problems, but he's also got science that now I want to look more into. He's an author, not a scientist, and he does a pretty darn good job at making the science-y bits believable (and realistic). For that I applaud him.

I was a little taken aback by the number of times Westerfeld said "I stole this from" this person, and the one time he said "It's not stealing if you give them credit for it someplace" (paraphrase)...The exact way that line was worded kind of struck a nerve on the "anti-plagiarism" training. Still, I was quite interested in hearing what his influences were.

The tone was congenial and familiar, more like a conversation than anything else. Each chapter, furthermore, had a different feel to it based on its purpose. The history sections were *slightly* more detached and serious than the rest of the book. The science sections were SW talking to you, etc. All in all, this did not feel like a textbook...and I'm glad for that, even if it could have used a touch more formalisation.

Did I mention I breezed through this book, totally engrossed? So, yes, I enjoyed this and I think that anyone who has read the entire Uglies series (yes, that includes Extras, Mari-la) would find this interesting and maybe even enjoy it. A very quick, easy read with lots of pictures and blank space.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bogus to Bubbly.