Angela's Reviews > Enchanted

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Jan 06, 13

bookshelves: ala-2012
Read from December 30, 2012 to January 06, 2013

I'm terribly ambivalent about this book. I thought the writing--the depiction of the world, the dialogue, the descriptive language, and even most of the character development--was beautiful and lush. The relationship between Sunday and her adopted fae brother was particularly lovely--I wish it had featured a little more in the end game. I don't think the actual plot stood up well, however. The interweaving of all of the fairy tales was interesting, but I think it caused the book to be too chaotic. In addition, several times her choice of the order in which things happened didn't make sense to me. I mean, the prince is all fired up once he realizes that the king has been Blue-bearding his wives, and vows to save Wednesday from that fate, and then sits through the wedding and dances with Sunday as though he doesn't have a care in the world. At some points, I wasn't sure WHAT was going on, and I don't think that was just me being dense. The whole King-talking-to-Sorrow and dead-mother-breaking egg thing? And seriously, love at first encounter with talking frog? I really wish that relationship had been less rushed. I mean, he's a frog. He's not going anywhere. You can take your time. Not to mention that the conflict about the feud between the families seemed contrived. Her parents clearly love her, and there's a reasonable explanation (ummm, as reasonable as transforming into animals is, anyway) for why their son had to mysteriously disappear, so I never saw what the big deal was with that. I really wanted to be able to rate this higher because of how much I liked the writing, but there are just so many drawbacks that a three is the best I can do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanted.