Margo Berendsen's Reviews > Academy 7

Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: ya-science-fiction, 2012-my-reads, young-adult, science-fiction
Read in April, 2012

The ideals of Academy 7 are "Question, Commit, Strive" - and I love how the author works these ideals into the story line. A school where you are challenged to question all things assumed: fascinating! Unfortunately, debate team was over my head when I was in high school, but if I'd had someone like Dane Madousin around to explain to me the art of argument, I would have had a much greater appreciation of it.

At one point Dane says something completely revelatory (to me):

"Always choose the weaker side [of the argument]."

"Why would I do that?" Doubt edged her voice, but now she was sitting erect, her feet flat on the floor.

"Because then you further to go to prove your case. In a debate, there are two sides. If both make a good argument, then the less popular side wins because that side had further to go to prove its point. Simple logistics."

"If you don't care which side wins." She frowned.

And that's the crux of this story, where the caring comes in, the drive to discover the truth.

The space and science fiction elements of this story were a bit underplayed, in my opinion (would have loved more details on how the simulation of the past, at the end, was constructed), but the politics of a galactic government were developed very well. And I love the Chivalian waterfalls and the southern sea which no boat, no matter how sturdily constructed, had ever been able to survive in.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academy 7.

Quotes Margo Liked

Anne Osterlund
“When you have the same dream over and over again, your brain is trying to solve a problem. It knows there's an answer.”
Anne Osterlund, Academy 7

Anne Osterlund
“But there was a constant willingness to take out a
topic, test it, shake it apart, mix up the pieces, and test them again.”
Anne Osterlund, Academy 7