Angela's Reviews > Arcadia

Mar 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ala-2012
Read from March 11 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

I don't know about this, you guys. I've heard good things about "Monsters of Templeton," so I was excited to read this, but I kind of have to say it left me going "so what?" This review is kind of spoiler-heavy, because I can't think of anything to do but say what happened, because I didn't love anything in particular enough to talk about it.
SPOILERS!
The first couple of sections deal with a boy growing up in a commune, which is fairly interesting, but certainly not a topic that hasn't been dealt with before. The only really redeeming part of this section was the main character, Bit, who you can't help but love. But because of that, you just feel bad for him most of the time because of all of the shitty things that keep happening to him. And just when you think the really interesting part is going to start, as he leaves to live in the city after living in this commune his whole life, the book skips forward 20 years. And Bit is, if possible, even more lovable, because he still has somehow retained that innocence and decency despite a whole bunch more shitty things happening to him. And then 11 more years pass, and global warming is wreaking havoc, and a huge pandemic is spreading, and Bit isn't sure whether his daughter will have a life worth living in the future, and then his parents die. But he finally gets a decent girlfriend in the end, and the pandemic doesn't kill everybody, so...yay.
/END SPOILERS

There are some beautiful passages, and Bit is a wonderful character, but the whole time I felt like there must be something I was missing that would make this book better. I thought maybe I was reading it too fast or something. But I read "The Book of Jonas" today, in one day, and got more out of it than I did reading this book for four days. So I'm going to assume that "Monsters of Templeton" was just a way better book.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia.

Quotes Angela Liked

Lauren Groff
“Childhood is such a delicate tissue; what they had done this morning could snag somewhere in the little ones, make a dull, small pain that will circle back again and again, and hurt them in small ways for the rest of their lives.”
Lauren Groff, Arcadia

Katie I didn't like Arcadia, and I adored Monsters of Templeton. They aren't even comparable; I feel like they were written by two different people.

Angela Good to know. I hate feeling like the one person on Goodreads who doesn't like a book :) I'll have to give Monsters of Templeton a go after all.

Lisa Perfect review. My thoughts exactly.

Dale Sondericker I agree