Scarlett's Reviews > His Majesty's Dragon

3520693
Jan 21, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in February, 2012

Originally posted on my blog here.

I am so happy I stumbled across this book. It's been out for a few years and I'm not sure why it didn't come to my attention sooner, but I am SO glad that it finally did (probably reading a review on a blog, so thank you)!

Looking at this just on a library shelf, I probably wouldn't pick it up (sad, but true, I judge covers sometimes unless someone has told me about it or I have read the description. This unobtrusive cover, however, is hiding all kinds of awesome! Basically this has Master and Commander, Jane Austen, and Eragon, all wrapped up into one, it's fantastic! You get the old timey feel of proper speaking and manners mixed with naval battles and talking dragons and their handlers!

That being said, there were times where things were a bit slow, and someone would take a slight to a comment that would pass a bit over my head, but for the most part, I was able to imagine things exactly. The writing was superb and the story telling and story line are very original. I just can't say enough of how much I appreciate this book.

Ms. Novik's universe sounds so entirely plausible that I'm a little put out that I haven't been called to be a Long-Wing captain myself! I'm also pretty happy that I came upon this series when I did since the 7th (is it the last? Not sure) just recently came out so I can read through this as quickly as I am able (I hate waiting).

Definitely worth a read for fantasy buffs but for those with a historical fiction bent as well. Truly, awesome work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Dragon.

Sandy Doty Loved this book!