Lachinchon's Reviews > The Battle of the Tanks: Kursk, 1943

The Battle of the Tanks by Lloyd Clark

Apr 24, 12

Read from April 15 to 24, 2012

The dry data (eg. the names of each reserve unit called up to buttress a particular sector) was thankfully leavened by the inclusion of the recollections of participants, officers and grunts, in both official reports and unofficial diaries, letters, or interviews. It was the latter that kept the book readable and interesting, and not just an accounting ledger. Although the first third of the book is pre-Kursk, it is important to place the battle in context; actually, I thought the same treatment could have been applied post-battle, with a little more exposition of subsequent events.
The book has some maps, but, at least for me, and especially if the reader is not otherwise familiar with the geography or the topography, to truly visualize the events it is helpful to have maps, maps, and more maps, from the large scale to the small. The book would have benefited from the inclusion of many more maps or diagrams.
And it is in this regard (maps) that I have my biggest complaint, and it has nothing to do with the book itself or the authorship. I read this on a Kindle, and while I thoroughly enjoy reading on this device, it is horrible for viewing maps, hence ill-suited for most history books. This is the case at least for the "e-ink" Kindles, but perhaps not an issue with the Fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Tanks.