Michelle's Reviews > Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health

Jan 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: vegan, lifestyle-books
Read from January 21 to 22, 2012

If you've read any other vegan book in your life you won't learn anything new here. It's rehash. It's good information, but rehash to seasoned vegans nonetheless.

And, I really hate to say this, but I actually think Forks Over Knives might ultimately turn more people off than create new converts.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with what they are saying, and their philosophy on how to live is in line with what most of us vegans believe in. But what this book recommends is an extreme form of the lifestyle that even vegans like myself might find hard to transition into (let alone omnivores!).

No oil, really? Not even a little olive oil? This book is promoting a raw vegan diet with very little wiggle room. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a book geared towards the general public shouldn't expect people to jump right into this kind of veganism. Speaking for myself, the transition was much easier when I learned to bake vegan and create meals that reminded me of old favorites. And not worry about oil. Most of the general public finds veganism restrictive enough without all of these other no-no's thrown in!

I haven't checked out all of the recipes yet (which seem to take up about 3/4 of the book) but I'm sure they're great - for people who are already vegan. Omnis, on the other hand, I doubt it.

8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forks Over Knives.

Breon Randon I felt the same way when reading this. I was shocked at the do this or you will die a horrid death mentality lol