Kate Z's Reviews > A Year in Provence

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: january-challenge
Read from January 21 to 23, 2012

This is one of those books I missed the first time around. I needed an excuse to read a book that "everyone" has already read - the January theme/challenge is it. One of my mom's favorites!

I'm not really sure how to rate this book - it's a wonderful book with lively writing peppered with similes. The book is populated by wonderful characters from Provence who are drawn without criticism but revealed for all of their quirks and human-ness. Mayle obviously loves people and loves Provence and that love oozes out through the words and word sketches in this book. I feel as though I know exactly what his house looks like, as well as many of the main supporting actors. I can almost taste food from the stalls at the Sunday markets and I'm in awe over how much wine is consumed!

But at my core I'm not a travel writing person - I don't eagerly pull the Travel section from our weekly New York Times, nor do I have many dreams of far off places I still long to visit. Perhaps because I traveled quite a bit in my 20s I don't have that wanderlust? I don't know. There are travel memoirs I have enjoyed - but that was a long time ago (actually, in my 20s when I was doing a bit of traveling. Hmmmm).

Anyway, if you have an inkling that you might like to visit Provence or if you are "foodie" this is a wonderful and enjoyable book that truly transports you.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year in Provence.