John Read's Reviews > Fermat's Enigma: The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem

Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh

Jan 21, 12

Read in March, 2009

Who would have thought a book about an extremely complicated maths problem could ever be an international best seller.
But here we have it. The story of a mathematical theory that had the greatest minds stumped for 358 years, and the quest to be the first to solve it.
It reads like a detective hunt spread over the centuries, with the 'culprit' teasing and getting ever nearer to capture - then slipping away again.
The enthusiasm and clarity of writer Simon Singh keeps the reader turning the pages.
I wouldn't be surprised if this book even turned a few readers onto the idea of mathematics as a career, such is the ability of Singh to make a dense subject seem 'sexy.'

"This is probably the best popular account of a scientific topic I have ever read." Irish Times.

"It's a magnificent story told with infectious enthusiasm." Evening Standard.

"To read it is to realise that there is a world of beauty and intellectual challenge that is denied to 99.9% of us who are not high level mathematicians." The Times.

"Reads like the chronical of an obsessive love affair. It has the classic ingredients that Hollywood would recognise." Daily Mail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fermat's Enigma.