Caroline Gordon's Reviews > Pro Git

Pro Git by Scott Chacon

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, software-development
Read from January 21 to 28, 2012

I am now totally convinced that those people that rave about git and complain bitterly about 'traditional' version control systems are absolutely right. Git is a revolution! Not a new one but one I'm just coming to grips with.

I decided to read this whole book even though I'm just a newbie just so I had an idea of the breadth of topics and different features. I'll be sticking with basic usage but I can go back and reference the advanced topics later. I did skim read some of those topics, no need to read advanced scripts when I won't be using those.

The main take out for me for the advantages of git are:
- ability to save all your work in a logical manner (in topic branches) before you do any commit. There is no good solution to this in the tools I'm used to except for a manual save to a network drive or offline storage
- flexible workflow - there are many many ways to set up your workflow, including code review, integration, qa and many other steps you may or may not want
- let you use github, a great way to backup and share your work, more likely for personal projects but could also be great for company use in some cases
- the inner workings are completely exposed so you have the power to do many custom workflows, enforcement of particular policies and so on
- bundling of commits into logical groupings with options and many options for handling these well
- great tools for finding out why some code went wrong, pinpointing which check in or which tag created the fault

Changing from a traditional tool to git would be a major undertaking but well worth the effort.

The ebook is available free here:
Pro Git eBook

A couple of other indespsible resources for learning git:
Simple work flow
Herding Code Podcast on Git for Windows developers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pro Git.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Perrin Keep in mind that people who rave about Git as a revolution over "traditional" (i.e. centralized) version control are the kinds of people who think of their particular favorite example of a whole category as the whole category. Git is far from the only distributed version control system, and many people feel that it is far from the best as well. I, for instance, find both Mercurial and Fossil more useful and usable tools than Git, both of which are also DVCSes, each with their own killer features to recommend them. Darcs and Bazaar each have their own devotees.

Don't get so wrapped up in the wonders of distributed version control with Git that you fail to notice the world of DVCSes outside of Git. You may end up deciding Git is your favorite even after giving some others a look, but you also may find you like another better, and if you never look into others you'll never really know whether you prefer Git or just fear change.

I'm a bit compulsive about trying out new things when I think there may be something better available, and I think it has served me well. In the world of version control systems, Fossil is where I've ended up, but I could easily be led to a new favorite if I find something even better for my purposes. Your mileage may vary.

Caroline Gordon Appreciate your comments and you raised a really good point that I did miss. DVCS is not just about git. Why are we all obsessed with git these days? Well I've yet to work with a team using a DVCS, so though it all looks great in theory I'm yet to see the practice.
Thanks for your input!