Barbara's Reviews > This Dark Endeavor

This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: ncbla
Read in January, 2012

For those of us who have wondered about the formative years of Victor Frankenstein, this incredible book offers plenty of insight. Beginning when Victor and his twin brother Konrad are 16, the author portrays both brothers as being fiercely competitive, but in the case of Victor, that fierceness often leads him to go too far. When the brothers and their distant cousin Elizabeth stumble upon a library filled with books about alchemy and other types of dark magic, Victor can't stop thinking about the possibilities that lie within the books' pages. Once Konrad becomes ill, Victor becomes determined to save his life by any means, and embarks on a journey that leads him to push every limit he has ever known and act in ways he never dreamed he might. As Victor slides down the slippery slope of morality in order to save his brother and for the personal glory his accomplishment will give him, he will never be the same. The fact that he has developed a passion for the same woman as his brother adds even more complications to the story. This infinitely readable book engaged me from beginning to end, and I can't wait for the sequel. The only flaws I found in its pages concerned the Frankenstein parents, about whose personalities the author offers only hints. Perhaps they will be more fully fleshed out in the next book. This title will certainly insure a wider readership for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Dark Endeavor.