Kimi04's Reviews > Hushed

Hushed by Kelley York

Nov 22, 12

bookshelves: lgbt, books-2012, the-best-2012, contemporary
Read from June 20 to 21, 2012

I wanted to write a review for this book for… like ever. And I even started a few times, but with this book I really have a few problems bringing into (English) words what I think! This book was not what I expected it to be – and I don’t mean that in a bad way.

At the beginning I thought that Archer was just a shy guy with a lifelong crush at his best friend who just never thought that there are other girls (or boys) out there. But Archer was anything but. He’s a boy with a serious problem, a really unhealthy fixation on his best friend, who he doesn’t even like anymore. But he thinks he just has to right the wrongs that have been done to her, to make her the person again he fell in love with all those years ago.

Of cause, compared to said friend Vivian, Archer comes along as a completely normal guy. At first I hated Viv, but in the end I realized that I really pity her. Because Archer found someone “normal” who tried to help him out of his mess. But Vivian really had no one. Her so called boyfriends have never been interested if she’s okay, how she feels and if there’s anything that bothers her. And Archer, while being interested in her wellbeing, was in no condition to truly help her.

The depth of the book and the characters was what truly captured me and made me love this book like barely another one this year. The story is believable and I couldn’t put this book down for the life of me. The only negative thing I have to say is, that this book was just too short. I could well have read another 300 pages!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hushed.

Quotes Kimi04 Liked

Kelley York
“Karma is a cruel mistress.”
Kelley York, Hushed