Naoms's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, library, paranormal-urban-fantasy, read-in-2012, dukes-earls-viscounts
Read from April 04 to 06, 2012

Firelight is an interesting read. At it's core Firelight is a historical romance. It takes place in historical London, deals with the Ton and the aristocracy. Then it takes a leap from the classic historical format and adds in the supernatural. Which is what makes it so unique, even though it has very classic themes, characters and settings.

Firelight begins with a mystery. Who is the man behind the mask, what does he want with Miranda and is he responsible for the murders happening all over town? Archer is a lot like many other historical heroes. He's dark, broody and has a secret and heartbreaking past.

What I really loved about Firelight is Miranda's strength. When the going got tough, she didn't sit in her room, pacing, hoping that everything would work out and she would be saved. Miranda takes matters into her own hands and she herself is the hero of the story. Many heroines in these kinds of books, run into the middle of danger and end up adding more stress to their lovers mission. Miranda didn't need to be saved, she didn't add to the burden of the male characters and she did not get in the way. I found that refreshing, as capable and as strong as Archer is, it was Miranda who truly got to the heart of the matter and fixed things.

I enjoyed Callihan's writing and found the world very intriguing. This is my first paranormal historical...which is crazy, since I love historical romance and I love paranormal romance. It seems obvious that I would want to read a series like this.

I'm excited to continue with this world. There was just enough hints about the other creatures that may be lurking in Firelight London, to make me wait with bated breath for the next book in the series.

A very entertaining read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

04/04/2012 page 52
04/04/2012 page 157
42.0% "You are the greatest adventure of my life- Archer"