Giselle's Reviews > Someone Else's Life

Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale

Jan 21, 2012

bookshelves: arc, own
Read from March 23 to 25, 2012

Now this is what I call a dysfunctional family! Secrets, romance, drama to the max - Someone Else's Life is a story that will make your jaw drop, along with having your life feel especially normal.

Mostly character oriented, this book is deeply emotional, with endless twists that turn it into a true roller coaster ride. I can see it come off as overly dramatic, but I personally really enjoyed getting surprised by the turn of events; never expecting things to get so tragic, so complicated. Rosie's life goes into a complete free fall after she finds out she's not really who she thought she was. As secrets starts to unravel, I found myself caring more and more about this girl, about everyone involved in the situation.

Huntington's disease is not widely known or acknowledged. I only gained what I know from the TV series House, where I learned there is no cure, and how terribly heartbreaking this disease becomes for everyone it touches. The worst part is deciding, do you get tested? Would you want to know if you're going to be doomed to this illness? Although we don't experience Huntington's first hand in the book, it's a big cloud that is constantly looming inside the pages. In spite of the story being quite complex, the book is easy to understand, and with its shocking plots twists, plowing through it is effortless.

I'm a bit undecided on how I feel about the romance. I thought it was very sweet at times, but I would get fed up with the on-again off-again scenarios. Andy, her boyfriend, seemed to never make up his mind. When they were "on again", though, it was very cute. I also enjoyed the journey itself- seeing New York especially, is always magical. Katie has this great ability to casually blend in all this magic, romance, and even humor in such a deep, emotionally charged book and have it all somehow work.

Reminiscent of a Jodi Picoult book, Someone Else's Life is a story that will easily have you engrossed in the overwhelming dramatics of Rosie's life. With a great cast of characters, deeply rooted emotions, and life altering decisions - there is something for everyone in this novel.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Else's Life.

03/23/2012 page 245
53.0% "This is pretty insane! These people could be on Jenny Jones. Does that still even air? It was pretty entertaining!"
09/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa how was it?

Giselle I really liked it. Lots of drama, and twists I never saw coming. It's the kind of story you'd see on like, Ricky Lake or Jenny Jones (Did you have those talk shows over there?).

message 3: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa No. Should I say.... fortunately? :D

Giselle Haha well it was pretty entertaining. Kind of like Jerry Springer but not so... wacky.

message 5: by Emily May (new)

Emily May I'm so pleased that you liked this, I have it waiting on my shelf but I wasn't really sure about it. You've restored my desire to give it a try :)

Giselle Emily wrote: "I'm so pleased that you liked this, I have it waiting on my shelf but I wasn't really sure about it. You've restored my desire to give it a try :)"

Hope you like it! It's really dramatic, almost insanely. Could be on like, Oprah!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review, Giselle. I don't normally read books like this (Where are the paranormal critters?) but I did enjoy this one.

Giselle AH wrote: "Great review, Giselle. I don't normally read books like this (Where are the paranormal critters?) but I did enjoy this one."

Thanks AH! Contemps are great to change the pace I find. I saw your review though glad you liked it too! :)

message 9: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Mh. I'm not sure this is my cuppa. Thanks for reviewing!

Giselle Yeah not sure you or Maja would love it, maybe. It's seriously dramatic.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I did find it interesting that (view spoiler). It really is a crappy disease, a genetic lottery gone wrong.

Giselle AH wrote: "I did find it interesting that [spoilers removed]. It really is a crappy disease, a genetic lottery gone wrong."

I know and it took me by surprise too (view spoiler) I was like WHAT!? But yes it's a horrible disease I can't even imagine having to make the choices that were made in this book.