Jenna's Reviews > Second Chance Summer

bookshelves: 2012-release, need-to-reread, romance, illness
Read from June 15 to 17, 2012

OF COURSE I FINISH THIS ON FATHER'S DAY
GAH

Edit: I am not afraid to admit that I cry a lot. It's a habit that I haven't been able to shake from when I was the baby of the family and I never got my way. Now, it's mostly at movies and at books that just stab you in the heart and twist. I cry, but it will only be tears streaming down my face and a little sniffle. I can count on one hand how many times a book has made me absolutely BAWL.

Second Chance Summer is one of those books.

Second Chance Summer is a book where the ending is inevitable; you know it's coming and you know it will make you emotional. But good Lord, this book traumatized me. I needed to go grab the box of tissues in my bathroom because I couldn't even breathe right, my nose was all stuffed up and my eyes were hurting from my mascara and just GAH.

But this book does not just rely on the ending. It's the details that make this book great. Her family: her teddy bear father, her ballerina mother, her two exceptional siblings, they all shine and are three dimensional rather than being cardboard cutouts. Henry and Lucy and the drama that happened five years before are believable and allow Taylor to have a flaw that a lot of people can relate to.

The slow rebuilding of Taylor and Lucy's friendship, and the romance between Taylor and Henry are all big parts of the book and Taylor as a character herself, but both plots take a back seat to the main plot of the book: family. The Edwards family starts off as distant from another, but as the book progresses, they slowly become a unit, working together. At the end, they are all able to support each other in a major time of need for support.

I try not to give five star reviews out readily, but this book deserves it. It's about romance, friendship, and the most important thing YA books should preach: family. I definitely recommend it to everyone, even if you're all like WAH I ONLY READ FANTASY. You must read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance Summer.

06/16/2012 page 200
42.0% "I SHIP IT.
EVERYTHING IS HENRY AND TAYLOR AND NOTHING HURTS."

Jadaaaa24 This book I by far the best book I've ever read. I don't even like to read that much but, this book just hooked me in. I LOVED IT. Everything about it I loved. I rarely ever cry but, this book got me. I wish she would make a second part to this book. Ohmygosh. I would love it. I loved the character Taylor. It was all just so perfect. If this was a movie I would watch it. I wish they would make this in to a movie. Words can't even describe how much I loved and still love this book. The best one I've read yet. I'd love to see it in real life though and not just have to imagine it. MAKE IT INTO A MOVIE. PLEASE PLEASE. I love it. It's a great book. Definitely worth taking the time to read. Please make this into a movie or at least a second part to it. & thank you for writing this. You're a wonderful author.

message 2: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who bawled at this book

Heather I cried while I read this book. I never cry while I read books but this one really touched my heart. I guess the reason that it touched me is Taylor is about my age and recently I experienced my grandpa having cancer and it was horrible. Waking up each day watching him get worse everyday,I can relate to Taylor's situation. Reading book really helped me over come me loosing my grandpa. This was the best book that I think I have ever read.:)