Shannon's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: youngadult
Read in January, 2012

Read Why We Broke Up if you've ever had your heart broken - or broken someone's heart.

Read this book if you want to remember - for the few hours it will take to read it - what young love felt like. How fast you fell. How hard you fell. How real and true it all felt for a very short while.

Read this book to remember high school and all of the good and bad that time brought into your life.

Read this book, knowing that it contains more foul language than most books I read, but language typical of a high school narrator.

Read this book for the writing, the illustrations and the way the two combine to give you the full story. Min's voice is true - sometimes raspy with pain, sometimes aching, sometimes bitingly sarcastic. Like I said above: high school.

Read this book for the author quotes on the back. They'll make you chuckle (especially M. T. Anderson's) and they'll make you want to read Min and Ed's break up saga.

Read this book knowing that while hearts are broken, yours will not be. Despite its subject matter, this book is light in tone and might make you feel nostalgic, but not devastated.

Read this book on a cold, gray day when you should be doing laundry, but all you really want is to crawl into a book for a few hours. But read this book. It's worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.