Matt's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

7491967
Apr 30, 12

Read from April 29 to 30, 2012

I'm in agreement with George R.R. Martin - it's been a long time since we've had a truly awesome science fiction book appear on our shelves, and the first book in The Expanse series, "Leviathan Wakes," delivers.

In a future where humanity has expanded beyond the solar system and no further, Jim Holden, the XO of an ice hauler, and Detective Josephus Miller, a cop on a colony in the asteroid belt (referred to as The Belt), are about to embark on an adventure that takes them across the solar system in search of the truth behind an escalating war between the inner planets, the Belt, and the various corporate and political factions that have come to dominate this society. Behind the scenes of the war is a terrifying threat to humanity that many will kill to possess.

I don't want to say anymore for fear of unintentionally spoiling the book. The only thing that dragged the book down for me was Corey's characterization of Jim Holden, a quintessential good guy whose righteous indignation at the events transpiring around him gets a little old sometimes. Beyond that, I highly recommend this book, which is the first in what will hopefully be a long series devoted to this particular universe. I, personally, can't wait until the next book comes out on June 26th!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.