Jeanette's Reviews > Still Missing

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Jan 21, 2012

Once again, I am engrossed in Chevy Stevens' writing. But this time, it wasn't pure enjoyable escapism. There was so much about this novel that was "unenjoyable"; downright painful and almost unbearable to read. I feel guilty now, afer having read it, for several reasons. The biggest being that I judged the protagonist in this novel harshly because the first couple paragraphs of this first person narrative portrayed her as a demanding well, bitch. I thought to myself: "ugh. i probably won't like this book as much because the main character already bugs me." But then I read the novel in less than 12 hours. And the fact that I didn't "like" this character in the first few pages haunts me. What she went through....there are no words. To recover from something like that would be a feat God himself would have to assist with---it is beyond human strength to ever forgive the people that hurt her the way she was hurt. Though she is fictional, I feel the need to suffer with her and love her enough to take her pain away. I felt guilty that I have a family that, in spite of their imperfections, would never do to me what Annie's family did to her. I feel guilty that my beautiful baby is here with me, safe and sound.* But the guilt doesn't make me regret reading it. If for no other reason than to endeavor not to judge people as much as I do, be more grateful for what I have, and be able to at least try to empathize with people who've suffered the unimaginable, then it was worth it. Yes, I recommend this book. But be careful. It pulls you in such a way that it applies weight to your heart that can't be lifted for some time. But you're not sure if you want it to be.

*If you read the book, you'll know why I might say this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Missing.