Abby Johnson's Reviews > Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie

Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

Jul 03, 2007

bookshelves: blogged
Read in July, 2007

Looking for a book about cancer that's not totally depressing? Look no further! 8th grader Steven has a lot going on in his life. He's obsessed with the beautiful Renee (who doesn't know who he is), he plays the drums in All-City band, and he's annoyed by the antics of his 5-year-old bratty brother Jeffrey. But everything changes when Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia. Immediately, everything is about Jeffrey. Their mom quits her job to take care of him, their dad shuts off emotionally and cries in private about the mounting bills. And Steven doesn't do much of anything except practice drumming because, really, what's the point in doing your schoolwork if your brother might die from cancer?

Admittedly, it sounds depressing. But it's told with Steven's wise-crackin', inappropriate-jokes-making voice. And that made it a book I truly couldn't put down. (Seriously, it was midnight last night and I knew I needed to go to sleep, but I just had to read one more chapter!) Yes, parts of it are sad, but the overall tone of the book is uplifting (and not in a saccharine way).

Readalike suggestions: For another non-depressing story about cancer, try "Ida B... and her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World" by Katherine Hannigan. For fans of the music in the book, "The Last Holiday Concert" by Andrew Clements has a similar situation to the concert.

Review of the audiobook:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie.