Leeah George 's Reviews > From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun

From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun by Jacqueline Woodson

Jan 21, 2012

it was ok
Read from January 21 to 23, 2012

Fourteen year old Melanin Sun thinks his biggest problems are figuring out what to say to he girl he likes, learning to be less withdrawn, improving his slam-dunk, and wishing his name was something like Donald or Carlos. Then his mama, his only parent and near best friend, tells him something that changes his life and shows him, for the first time, what problems are really all about. Her news makes him question who he is, what love means, and if he can love his mother in spite of what she tells him she is.

I picked this book because I've heard a lot of good things about this author. And I was really anticipated to read this book. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations.

I finished this book for several reasons. One is because I never abandon a book. I always need to finish it and then express how much I hated it, or loved it. In this special scenario, I strongly disliked it. Also, I finished this book I was hoping that I would find a part of the book that would grasp my attention. And, surprise surprise, it didn't.

In all honesty... I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone. I mean, her writing style was pretty good...But the story and the plot... wasn't my favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun.