Gillian's Reviews > The Pleasure of My Company: A Novel

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

Jan 22, 12

I loved this book, of course I went in with a bias because of my love of Steve Martin, but it was the first I'd ever read by him. I've read it twice now in less than a year, which is rare for me, I rarely re-read! But Daniel Pecan touches my heart, makes me burst out into raucous laughter on the bus and is one of my top ten favorite characters of all time!

He never really apologizes for his behavior or thoughts and why should he? You feel the fact that he cannot help the way his brain works- a fact that draws you in/ Martin portrays Daniel with such a lightheartedness it makes you smile at the character's flawed logic (his reason for not being able to take public transit, because if shirt patterns/colors). I also find it easy to relate to him, while I don't think I have any serious issues I too have eccentricities that people in my life find baffling and largely ridiculous. However I still maintain that there is nothing unusual about being germ conscious or bed sheet patterns making one's teeth feel weird!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasure of My Company.