Anne's Reviews > Commencement

Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, top-picks-2012
Read from January 21 to 26, 2012

Story of friendship, a take on liberal arts colleges, and a portrait of the first generation of women who have all the opportunities in the world, but no clear idea about what to choose.

I can say honestly that I will read whatever J. Courtney Sullivan writes in the future, because her style of writing women and their relationships is so appealing to me. Her books are funny, observant, filled with observation and entirely relatable to me as a young woman trying not to screw up her life. The twenty-somethings in Commencement are a bit more interesting to me than the multi-generational saga of Maine, although I liked that one, too. Reading up on how each woman felt about the others provided a juicy perspective that fueled the drama of the friendships. Each character was believable and sympathetic, while never perfect or uncomplicated. My one complaint about this book is the lack of resolution, which I'm sure was intentional. Sullivan left so much to explore and I actually turned the page to make sure that was it. I can only hope she's writing a sequel!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Commencement.