Anne's Reviews > Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large

Shatner Rules by William Shatner

Jan 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from January 21 to 27, 2012

I went into this book expecting complete frivolity, and I'll admit, my expectations weren't met. They were exceeded, in fact. This is a very interesting look into the psyche of William Shatner, someone who I really was introduced to via the "Has Been" album that he made with Ben Folds. Later, I watched the first series of Star Trek and came to know him through that, but my experience in the Shatnerverse has always been of the man who makes light of himself.

This was a fairly introspective book. Shatner jokes about saying "yes" to everything as a way to experience all that life has to offer, but there's a deeper undercurrent of his own mortality that weaves his way through the book. This is Shatner at 80, far removed from Star Trek. This is the Shatner of Raw Nerve and "Has Been" who looks back on his career, acknowledges his faults, and has the decency to laugh at what he feels to be ridiculous. This is the Shatner who loves his family and his country (Canada). And honestly, I can dig this Shatner. He doesn't seem so bad at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatner Rules.