Sarah's Reviews > Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior by Judson Roberts

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, young-adult

My Review: I must admit, I’ve had a bit of a morbid streak in my literary choices over the past few months. I’ve now gone from modern day warfare to ancient Viking historical novels. Interesting, the twists and turns of my troubled mind… But I won’t pull at that thread now, of course- not while the reading is so good, anyway!

It’s no surprise that Viking Warrior does indeed live up to its name- its many pages are filled with bloody battles, enormous, bear-like men in furs and armor; all of whom seem to enjoy killing (and often dying) for a variety of reasons- honor, revenge, riches and foodstuffs… Plunder is the name of the game for these rough-and-tumble warriors! And Halfdan, son of a dying chieftain, learns that growing up and taking his rightful place as Lord of Lands among these ferocious men isn’t as glorious as he’d dreamed.

While not incredibly stimulating intellectually, Judson Roberts successfully freed my mind from the mundane and stressful tasks of my life for an admirable chunk of time. Who’d have guessed that blood and honor killings can make for a relaxing evening? I’m truly looking forward to cracking open the next two books in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viking Warrior.