Kevin's Reviews > Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer

Jan 21, 12

Read in January, 2012

I bought this book through the iTunes store, and it is amazing to have on an iPad. There are videos of Jeni herself demonstrating step-by-step how to make the ice cream base, caramelizing sugar for Salty Caramel, making your own whipped cream, etc. It give more information and better presentation than the hardcover book, plus it's cheaper and much easier to hav an iPad in the kitchen than a hardcover book. Win-win-win.

The book itself is great. Jeni tells the story of how she started making ice cream, started her own business, and the failures and successes she had along the way. You really get an appreciation for her passion to make unique artesian ice creams. Then, she spend the rest of the book giving you all the recipes for how she makes most (if not all) of her flavors. I expected a few of her more popular ones, but they're all here; ice creams, frozen yogurts, sorbets, and even sundaes, baked alaskas, and push-ups. I was astonished at the amount of information in this book.

I'm not much of a chef myself, but I do make cookies from scratch here and there. I love ice cream too, and that's why I go this book—to see if I could do it. Jeni makes it very easy to make amazing ice cream at home. Each recipe is good for about a quart, and I got 3 full batches from the supplies I bought. While not as cheap as buying normal ice cream in the store, it is cheaper overall than buying that amount of ice cream at Jeni's stores, and lots of fun to make. Even more fun is sharing it with others and getting all the compliments.

Jeni made a great book, and it's easy for even a novice to get great results. If you have an iPad, I recommend getting the digital edition for the videos. Either way, get the book and try a few on your own. Some reviewers have complained that the first flavor they tried didn't come out perfectly. In my experience, that's half the fun of cooking; to learn and try again. Both flavors I've made (Roasted Strawberry and Buttermilk, Black Coffee) have turned out great, and I'll continue trying more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home.