Olivia's Reviews > I'll Be There

I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 20 to 21, 2012

Let me just say that I love the cover of this book. Like seriously. I could just stare at the cover. I love the colors and the scene with the stars in the background. The shadowing. Everything. Except that it has nothing to do with the story, but then I focus on the image again and forget about that tiny detail and fall in love with the cover again.
The book started a bit slow for me, but that could have been because I was reading at work during my class' nap time and was constantly shushing people and calling students' names in a stern tone that meant "shut up and lay down! don't you know how lucky you are to get a nap time?". Anyways... after finally giving the book my whole attention I started to plow through this story in a hurry. I loved the constant switching of the narrators. I often find this annoying but Sloan did it in such a way that it deepened the story. The characters were pretty basic in their emotions and such but I got to say Riddle suprised me. It was amazing to see his transformation after he finally got the attention he needed.
The premise of these two kids who have never had anyway look after them and no stable home was interesting. No education and no knowledge of how the world worked was an astonishing concept. Overall I pretty much loved it. Like seriously. Some things were a little farfetched but that was ok because the story was so engaging and I felt so connected to the characters and what was going to happen to them.
Definite good read and I am looking forward to more from Mrs. Sloan in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be There.