Damon's Reviews > Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1 by Hayao Miyazaki

Jan 21, 12

This is just about as good as it gets. I love me some manga, but the only thing that maybe comes close to this in epic storytelling is Akira, and I think I like Nausicaa a little better.

I originally read these in the single-issues version from the 80s. I like reading it in this more compact "Perfect Collection" version, but I don't know if it really benefits from the reduction of the page size. There are definitely places where the panels get a bit small for the amount of action in them, and it can make details of what's happening a bit unclear.

Story-wise, things get kicked off pretty well in this volume. I can see how a first-time reader might think that the storyline will follow a pretty standard and predictable route, but it's no spoiler to say it definitely doesn't. Even having read this before doesn't dampen my excitement for what's coming up.

I'd seen the Nausicaa anime before reading these and wasn't too impressed - even though Miyazaki is one of the greatest living filmmakers, I generally love his more whimsical stuff more than his heavier-handed environmental stuff (though Nausicaa DOES have airships, AND one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever). But, again like Akira, the manga wasn't done when the movie was made, and that seems to be where the film falls short. The scope of the manga is so much more vast, and the story is much more involved. The charm of Miyazaki's films translates well to the page (or maybe it's the other way around), and you get a lot of the same emotional impact.

I don't know if this is currently in print or not (if not, it's a shame) but this is well worth seeking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1.