Melanie's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, spring-2012, 2012-nonfiction
Read from January 22 to 26, 2012

I was fortunate enough to meet Charles Duhigg at the Science Online conference last week in Raleigh, where we were all given advance copies of this book to take home with us.

First of all, Duhigg himself is awesome. Let's just get that out there. So I may have gone into reading this book with a bit of a bias.

Secondly, as a psych academic, I know we're not supposed to like "pop psych" books. And admittedly, some are better than others. But I really think that this is one that actually gets it right! He talks about research in a way that is accessible yet completely accurate; every time he would be discussing research and I'd say something to myself like, "Man, this sounds exactly like implementation intentions, I wish he would talk about implementation intentions," lo and behold, I checked the appendix and he was citing about research on implementation intentions! He was just talking about it in a super accessible way, so I didn't realize that was what he was doing.

Thirdly, I feel like sometimes these "pop research" books will start with a theme...and then get a little off course. You can tell that the author found out a bunch of stuff while researching that he/she had spent so much time reading about, he/she could no longer realize that the topic material wasn't quite relevant to the central theme and didn't really belong in the book. I think that Duhigg does one of the best jobs I've seen of really tying EVERYTHING back to habits, and not going off course. There was only one minor part where I remember thinking it was a bit of a stretch (though I can't remember what that part was now...), and it still came back to habits in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.

01/22/2012 page 90
01/23/2012 page 160
43.0% "Met Charles Duhigg at a conference this past weekend, where all attendees were fortunate enough to get advanced copies of this book. It's wonderful so far! Can't wait to review (and I'm sure recommend) it fully when I'm done!"
show 3 hidden updates…