MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Fleck

Fleck by Alasdair Gray

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: dramarama, hoots-mon, art-or-illustrated
Read on January 21, 2012

Performed at the Edinburgh Book Festival in 2011, with Alasdair Gray as Old Nick, poet Aonghas MacNeacail as God, Will Self as John Fleck, and A.L. Kennedy as May. I missed the performance in August because I am stupid. Also onstage were folk like Liz Lochhead, Ian Rankin and Alan Bissett, so I say again: I am stupid. Reading the play on my lonesome was no consolation for this missed opportunity, although I take some pleasure knowing it isn’t very good. A contemporary version of Goethe’s Faust written in comedic verse? Why does that sound like flogging a horse that decomposed years ago? (Two Ravens Press aren’t to blame: this edition is beautifully designed). The world doesn’t need more modern versions of Faust. We could spend an afternoon naming all the films and books and songs about selling one’s soul to the devil. And we’d fall asleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fleck.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma Don't fall asleep. Keep reading, keep reading. How else will I know what to read next?

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

MJ Nicholls I will! And thank you for being my one-man "like" committee. I've just finished the last of the Vonneguts. Sad day.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma MJ wrote: "I will! And thank you for being my one-man "like" committee. I've just finished the last of the Vonneguts. Sad day."

'tis nothing. Noticed you'd finished the last Vonnegut (Liked it already). Now, get thee back to fiction.

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

MJ Nicholls Mike wrote: "MJ wrote: "I will! And thank you for being my one-man "like" committee. I've just finished the last of the Vonneguts. Sad day."

'tis nothing. Noticed you'd finished the last Vonnegut (Liked it a..."

Ha. Not so, NOW I've finished the last Vonnegut. (See review). The fiction cometh again soon.

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven The Last Vonnegut sounds like a great book title.

message 6: by MJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

MJ Nicholls There's a book called The Last Interview w/ Kurt. Cash-in time!

message 7: by knig (new)

knig Can I join your club? I'm at the tail end of the 'It' scene as well, for me it was missing a Thomas Bernhard play.

message 8: by MJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

MJ Nicholls Just saying we were going to attend plays makes us all cultural and trendy. We don't really need to go.

message 9: by knig (new)

knig What? You mean you're a pseudo intellectual: nay, say no more. Yes, We really do need to attend plays. Behave!