S. J. Bolton's Reviews > Rupture

Rupture by Simon Lelic

Jan 24, 12

Read from January 21 to 22, 2012

There's been a lot of hype about Simon Lelic lately, especially on social networking sites. Personally, I hate it when authors just don't live up to the hype; but I hate it a whole lot more when they do! Rupture, I have to admit, is truly excellent.

A London school is reeling in the aftermath of a savage act of violence. Apparently without warning, the history teacher walked into school assembly, shot three pupils and a teacher, before turning the gun on himself. For the school authorities and the police it's an open and shut case; the teacher had problems, it was a terrible tragedy that couldn't have been foreseen. Just one young, female detective inspector is determined to look further, to find out why the teacher behaved in the way he did, and whether the person to blame for the deaths might not be the man who pulled the trigger.

Rupture is beautifully written, alternating from the DI's point of view, with the statements of various witnesses. The language is immediate and striking, with each new chapter coming as a fresh surprise. The characters are excellently drawn with some real nasties but Lelic's greatest achievement, to my mind, was presenting the "villain" as a sympathetic character from the very beginning.

I gave four stars rather than five because, to my mind, there were a few unanswered questions at the end, and some of the scenes of sexual harassment felt a little overdone. Also, this type of psychological thriller isn't really my thing. But if it's yours, I thoroughly recommend Rupture and I will definitely be reading Lelic's other books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rupture.