Nisha-Anne's Reviews > The Various

5262009
Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: borrowed
Read from January 27 to 31, 2012

You know, at first I rather liked the detailed descriptions, especially when our protagonist first gets to the farm. But then good grief, when I realised how long it was taking to get through one damned scene, just getting our protagonist to solve one lone situation, my impatience and disbelief kicked in. Not just that but my writer disapproval reared its head. When that happens, it's pretty serious. And the loooooong horribly pedantic descriptions persisted, so much so that I began to get quite irritated. Eventually, I found I could skim whole pages and still not miss any of the action.

At first, the abrupt switches to different perspectives in different locales jarred me. But I have to admit all these disparate threads were twirled together into a very cohesive and fairly satisfying conclusion.

Nevertheless, I am definitely not persisting with this trilogy. My kingdom for a well-written YA standalone that is written in the past ten years and not set in the Americas. *sigh*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Various.

01/30/2012 page 143
01/30/2012 page 247
55.0% "Urgh. Alternating between bored and impatient and latently intrigued and then impatient again."