Monaliz's Reviews > By the Pale Moonlight

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook, read-2012
Read from July 22 to 25, 2012

My rating: 2/5 stars
Read the review in my blog!

May contain some spoilers
This book really brought up some mixed feelings. I definitely wanted to love this, since I fell in love with both the cover and synopsis. And like in any book, there were lots of pros and cons.
Pros, like I mentioned, awesome cover and synopsis. But cons won the race this time. Because in order for me to enjoy this the book there should be some serious editing done.

First of all, it was really hard to keep up with the story! It felt like the characters were just running around, without any clear goal or even a purpose.
For example: Like mentioned in synopsis, it's believed that Makenna was the intended prey and she's still a target. And in this scene I was pretty much like "R U SERIOUS?". Because they base their assumption on the fact the dead girl was wearing Makenna's coat while being attacked. I mean, seriously? That's all you got? The dead girl stole Makenna's coat and was wearing it when attacked, but that's it! Oh, and both girls' hair was remotely same color. But.. Werewolves have pretty great sense of smelling, right?
So that really wouldn't have been enough evidence for me, sorry.

Then there's running around with dog whistle. You heard me right. Like in the synopsis, you would think they would get some silver to reveal the werewolf. If not silver, maybe something else badass werewolves can't stand. But no, they use a freaking dog whistle. And there wasn't even an explanation why and how and when they came up with the plan to use the dog whistle. It was more like "hey look, it's pretty awesome I happen to have a dog whistle in my pocket, let's hunt werewolves with it!". There was lot of that going around, just coming up to conclusion without any kind of reason, so it really was quite hard to keep up with.

This is the last example, I promise. Makenna found out the werewolf attacking "the dead girl" was actually black. So of course she blames the "bad guy" of the school. Because he's the only guy with black hair in your school or in the town?! And she just decided the werewolf's fur color is based on the person's hair color. You've seen one werewolf, so again, little too little evidence?!
And why would "the bad boy" attack Makenna? Well, two years earlier he asked her out, and she said no. Can you imagine that?! And it's so hard for the bad boys to get girls, so of course he still holds a grudge over her! w00000t..?
Okay now I seriously need to change the subject because my head starts to hurt.

I don't have much to say about the characters over all. They were pretty one-dimensional. They were lots of going with Makenna and Ty and their friends, but nothing was really explained. There was very little background about anyone, so it was pretty hard to feel connected. I really didn't care what happened to them, 'cause I didn't feel close to them.

Makenna was pretty much the only character I occasionally had some feeling for. Though that was mostly me going crazy because I was so annoyed with her.
She really isn't likable main character, believe me. She's really superficial and she hangs out with friends who bully everyone else. She has a boyfriend, who is a douche, sleeps with everyone else and is constantly trying to get to Makenna's pants. Yet Makenna dreams about her best friend, Ty, all the time. And when ever they see, she gribs Ty's shirt and hugs him. If I was dating Makenna, I would probably have a problem with her and Ty's hugging. And the mr. Douche obviously knows there's something going on, because he keeps making comments about Ty. Though the background of this is never revealed, so reader's just have to guess why mr. Douche's so pissed off. Like, okay, I know he's pissed to Ty and to Makenna and that's why keep making these douchy comments about Makenna sleeping with Ty, but what happened?! Why does he do that?? It's really frustarting!!
And even though Ty is probably meant to be the second main character, there really isn't much to say about him. He's just some dude, I really don't care.

There really was some huge potential, which why I hate to give a bad review. But when you just can't enjoy the writing, there's not much to do about it.
Though I must admit the huge cliffhanger made me curious. And pissed off. Because it was the only interesting part in the book, so it was too little too late.

My thanks to author for providing a review copy!

Love,
Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Pale Moonlight.